The Cocoa Police Department and its officers received hundreds of hours of training each year. The subject matter includes, but is not limited to:
- Racial Intelligence/Bias-free environment
- State mandated racial bias and profiling education
- Emotional de-escalation/autism awareness
- Use of force and de-escalation scenario based training
- Professional development (legal updates, public records, background investigations, report writing and more).
There are also strict requirements in place throughout the hiring process including, but not limited to, successful completion of the basic recruit academy, and FDLE state standardized law enforcement officer certification test. Candidate must also pass a psychological exam, polygraph exam, extensive personal and professional background check including prior employment records. If hired, the candidate must complete extensive training involving more than 250 professional standards governing everything from the handling of property and evidence to internal affairs, training and recruitment, use of force, special operations and other critical areas.