Facts About Water
Fix dripping faucets.
How much water is used in an average home:
- Each of us uses about 150 gallons of water each day - just indoors!
- Leaks of one drop per second wastes more than 6 gallons of water a day - that's 2,642 gallons of water a year.
- The bathroom accounts for 65% of water used inside the home.
- Toilet that runs on after flushing can leak at the rate of 5-10 gallons per hour, that's 52,840 to 105,680 gallons per year - enough to fill 1 to 2 large in ground swimming pools.
- As many as 25% of all toilets in America leak. Learn more about Detecting and repairing leaks.
- Toilets with a silent leak can waste up to 12 gallons of water per hour.
- The shower and bathtub are the second heaviest water users in the home, averaging flow rates of 5 to 20 gallons per minute.
- Hand washing dishes twice a day uses about 18 gallons of water.
- A running dishwasher loaded to capacity once per day uses only about 11 gallons of water.
- An automatic clothes washer uses from 40 - 60 gallons of water each cycle. That's 20% of total indoor water use.