- City Departments
- Public Works
- Tree City USA
- Tree Photo Contest
Tree Photo Contest
Tree Photo Contest Overview
The City of Cocoa has been designated a Tree City USA and to commemorate this recognition, we invite our citizens and visitors to share your favorite tree in the City. A well-maintained and healthy tree canopy provides beauty for our community. Trees also benefit us by improving air quality, reducing heat with shade, providing wildlife habitat, absorbing stormwater, and protecting us during storms by dampening winds.
Show Us Your Trees
Use your phone or favorite camera to take a photo of your favorite Cocoa tree and enter it in one of our designated categories listed below. Photos will be judged based on the categories they were entered. A winner will be selected from each category as well as people’s choice. Invasive species of trees will not be considered for this contest. Previous entries will not be considered for a winning entry this year.
- Anyone Home?: Things that live in trees. Trees provide a habitat for wildlife. Let's see some shots of the creatures living in our trees.
- Parts of a Tree/Close-ups: Leaves, bark, limbs. Get creative. Let's see the many beneficial parts of our community trees.
- Canopy of Trees: A great canopy of trees can provide a number of great benefits including shade and protection. Show us a great tree canopy.
- What do trees do for us?: Show us the benefit you see in your favorite tree. Do you use it to hang a swing or as a home for your favorite birds?
- Photographer's choice: Committee member and resident photographer, John Maryland selects his favorite photo.
- Judges' Choice: The entire committee will select their favorite tree.
- People's Choice: All photos entered in the contest will be placed on the City of Cocoa's Facebook page and the photo with the most likes from Facebook and from the in-person Arbor Day event will be crowned People's Choice.
Submit your entry by 5:00pm on March 31, 2023.
Winners will be contacted by Friday, April 28, 2023 and invited to the Cocoa City Council Meeting on Tuesday, May 9, 2023 for recognition. Contest winners will be displayed at City Hall for an entire year.
Our judging committee is comprised of various members of the community including:
- Councilwoman for District 4, Lorraine Koss
- Citizen and Landscape expert, Linda Gombert
- Members of Keep Brevard Beautiful, Kristina Fannin and Bryan Bobbitt
- Extension agent II, M.S., horticulture from UF/IFAS Extension Brevard County, Cocoa, FL, Sally Scalera
- Photographer, John Maryland
2022 Winning Entries in Each Category
Tree: Oak with Spanish moss
Tree: Pine bark
Tree: Longleaf Pine
Tree: Southern Red Cedar
Tree: Cabbage Palms
Thank you to all who entered the 2022 City of Cocoa Tree Photo Contest. Winning entries will be displayed at the Arbor Day event on Friday, April 29, 2022 from 4-7pm at Cocoa City Hall and then in the City Hall Lobby until next year.
Tree: Bald Cypress