Police Chief Recruitment Process
With the retirement of Chief Michael Cantaloupe in December 2020, after serving 30 years with the Cocoa Police Department, the City of Cocoa will be initiating a recruitment process for the next Chief of Police. Below is more information about the process.
Phase 1: Ideal Candidate Development (September 2020)
- City Manager to meet with and survey each member of City Council to identify ideal characteristics for the ultimate selected candidate including management style, department focus and experience.
- City Manager to solicit input from Police Department personnel and unions to identify ideal characteristics for the ultimate selected candidate.
- City Manager to solicit input from the Police Community Relations Advisory Board members to identify ideal characteristics for the ultimate selected candidate.
- City Manager to solicit community input to identify ideal characteristics for the ultimate selected candidate. Survey was open from September 11 - 25, 2020 for citizen input.
Phase 2: Recruitment (November 2020 - February 2021)
- The City has reviewed and revised the job description and the position has been posted.
- A recruitment brochure has been created for the position.
- Recruitment initiated through a national broad-based search.
Phase 3: Candidate Evaluation (February - March 2021)
- Committee Evaluation to narrow down the list of qualified candidates to five
- Public Open House events to meet the final candidates at two locations:
- March 29, 2021, 6:00pm - Dr. Joe Lee Smith Community Center (415 Stone St, Cocoa, FL 32922)
- March 30, 2021, 6:00pm - Eastern Florida State College Cocoa Campus Bernard Simpkins Fine Arts Center (1519 Clearlake Rd, Cocoa, FL 32922)
- Both locations will follow CDC guidelines for public gatherings: face coverings will be required to be worn at all times, seats will be spaced apart to allow for distancing, attendance may be limited.
- Both meetings will be streamed live beginning at 6:30pm each night on the City of Cocoa's Facebook page and YouTube Channel.
- Agenda for Community Meetings:
- 6-6:30pm: Meet the Candidates Open Networking
- 6:30-7pm: Candidate Introductions
- 7-8pm: Candidates will answer questions submitted by the public (Click here to submit a question to be read to the candidates during one of the forums. Program time may not allow for all questions to be asked.)
- Final 5 Candidates (click on each candidate for a copy of their resume):